What is a Fiance Visa And Marriage Visitor Visa? Know How To Apply

How To, Immigration Tips

Do you apply for a fiance visa or a marriage visa? So here is a complete guide on what you need to know before applying for a fiance visa and marriage visitor visa.

Non-EU nationals can visit and settle in the UK with their partner using one of the many visas the UK offers. It can be difficult to determine which is best for your situation, especially because many terms are involved with the partner visa. We discuss these in detail to help you determine which visa you require.

What is a Marriage Visitor visa?

UK Unmarried Partner Visa Solicitor

You and your partner can travel to the UK on a short-term or marriage visitor visa to get married or register for a civil partnership. If you are a non-EU citizen who only wants to get married in the UK and does not wish to live or settle there permanently, you should apply for this visa. You and your partner will both need to submit visa applications.

A marriage visitor visa allows you to stay in the UK for up to six months, giving you many opportunities to travel about the country after your wedding.

Also Read: 6 Steps to Apply for Spouse Visa UK

How to Get a Marriage Visitor visa?

When applying for a marriage visitor visa, you must verify that:

  • You are at least 18 years old.
  • You are genuinely dating each other.
  • You only want to stay in the UK for a short time, 6 months—before departing.
  • You possess the money necessary to both enter and exit the UK.

You must provide relevant documentation in your application to support the above. Travel documents and evidence of a booked wedding venue are examples of this. You must provide the correct documentation; otherwise, your visa may be rejected.

An immigration advisor in London may guide you through the application process and make sure you submit the proper documentation if you’re unsure what proof is required.

What is a spouse or fiance visa?

Spouse Visa Application London UK

This visa is required if you want to move to the UK to live with your spouse or partner. You may apply if you are married to or in a committed relationship with a British national, plan to wed or enter a civil partnership within 6 months of your arrival in the country, or want to settle there.

UK Spouse Visa Requirements When Apply For a Marriage Visa:

Your spouse or partner must fit one of the following criteria to qualify for this visa:

If your partner is in the UK on a Tier 2 or Tier 4 visa, you cannot apply for a marriage visa. Instead, you must apply as a dependent. You may reside and work in the UK for two and a half years with a spouse or partner visa. Still, you must ensure the residency requirement to be eligible for indefinite leave to remain or to naturalise as a British citizen.

You can extend your visa for an additional two and a half years if you want to stay in the UK after it expires. You can then apply for citizenship and permanent residency in the UK (should you meet the requirements).

Also Read: Professional Immigration Solicitors Lawyers in Manchester

Things to consider while apply for a marriage visa:

#1 – The Financial Requirement:

The British citizen must satisfy the financial requirements in one or more of the following categories to apply for the spouse visa or partner visa:

  • Self-employment
  • Cash savings
  • Salaried employment
  • Dividends, investments or other income
  • Pension income

Before apply for a marriage visa, it’s a good idea to consider your financial situation. It will help you to choose the optimal method for generating the required income.

#2 – Proving Your Relationship:

UK Fiance Visa

You must offer evidence of your genuine relationship with your partner to support your application. You must submit proof of the following to do this:

  • Whether you are either in a relationship or married.
  • You regularly communicate or spend time together.
  • Together, you both pay for things.

The lack of supporting documentation in the application is the most common cause of visa rejection.


It’s a good idea to investigate the different visa categories the UK offers before submitting your application to pick the one that best meets your short- and long-term goals. Every visa application is different, and the requirements change depending on your situation.

My Legal Services always advise consulting an immigration advisor before making any decisions. They can assess your situation and determine your best course of action. Visas to the UK are costly, and application mistakes could lead to your application being rejected.

Additionally, an immigration solicitor consultant may help collect all your paperwork, submit your application on your behalf, and ensure that it is more likely to be approved.

Previous Post
Unmarried Partner Visa UK: Before Applying, What You Need To Consider
Next Post
How Important to Get Regulated Immigration Advice From Immigration Solicitors in London?

× WhatsApp