Adult Dependent Relative Visa

What is an Adult Dependent Relative Visa?

The Adult Dependent Relative visa category is for adult dependent relatives of British citizens in the UK, persons settled in the UK with indefinite leave to remain, Settled status or with limited leave to remain in the UK or persons in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection status, who wish to settle here.

An adult dependant can be a:

  • parent or grandparent
  • grandparent
  • brother
  • sister
  • son or daughter over 18

What are the Adult Dependent Relative visa requirements?

In order to qualify for a UK Adult Dependant Relative visa you will need to satisfy and meet the following requirements:

  • The applicant must have a valid application for entry clearance in your home country and must not fall for refusal under any suitability grounds
  • You are the parent aged 18 years or over, grandparent, brother or sister aged 18 years or over or Son or Daughter aged 18 years or over of a person who is the UK and that person is over 18 and either a British citizen, settled in the UK  or person with refugee leave or humanitarian protection status
  • You as a result of age, illness or disability, require long-term personal care that is performing everyday tasks such as washing, dressing and cooking,
  • You must be unable, even with the practical and financial help of the Sponsor to obtain the required level of care in the country they are living because it is not available and there is no person in that country that can reasonably provide it, or because it is not affordable
  • You will be adequately be maintained, accommodated and cared for in the UK by the sponsor without recourse to public funds if the sponsor is a British citizen or settled in the UK, they must sign a 5 year undertaking to that effect.
visa solicitors in london
Immigration & UK Visas
Mr Singh has been incredibly helpful and supportive throughout my visa application. His prompt availability and quick responses to my queries has further helped me gather my thoughts and be more organisers throughout my experience with the home office.
Jasjeet Kaur
Sukhdev is very well-versed in his area and and has always been very helpful. Throughout he listened to us, advised us, guided us, and provided us with what we sought. Highly recommended, and thank you.
Dev Bhakar
Had a great experience with Mr Sukhdev Singh. He is very experienced and confident adviser and immigration lawyer.
I will highly recommend him and his firm. He will take all the stress away form you and make sure the paperwork is done the right way.
Our Professional Solicitor's are available in person at our offices or via the phone, Call us Today

Do I need to apply from outside the UK?

The elderly parents and other adult dependent relatives of following persons can apply for entry clearance as adult dependant relatives:

  • A British citizen in the UK; or
  • a person present and settled in the UK; or
  • A person in the UK with leave to remain as a refugee; or
  • A person in the UK with Humanitarian Protection Leave.

An adult dependant can be a:

  • parent
  • grandparent
  • brother
  • sister
  • son or daughter over 18

You must apply for adult dependant relative visa from outside the UK as you cannot switch into this route from inside the UK. You’ll need the British citizen or settled person who will be looking after you (also called your ‘sponsor’) to complete a sponsor form and sign it to confirm they will support you.

How long does the Process Take?

On average it can take between 6-8 weeks for an Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) to consider your application and go through your documents to issue you a UK Adult Dependant Visa. In some case it can be longer and each case is considered in its own individual merits. In some cases it can take a lot quicker depending on the case worker at the respective British High Commission, Embassy or Consulate

How long is an Adult Dependent Visa Valid For?

If you satisfy all of the requirements for an Adult Dependant Visa, you will be granted Indefinite Leave to Enter in the UK, known as ILR, which has the same meaning as Indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

FAQ's Civil Partnership

Our Top Adult Dependant Visa FAQ’S

The currently fee for an Adult Dependant Visa is £3,250 applying from outside the UK.

There are specified documents that must be provided in support of your application. Under Appendix FM-SE of the Immigration rules. It requires evidence that an applicant requires long term persona care and must take the form of:

  • Independent medical evidence that the applicant’s physical or mental condition means that they cannot perform everyday tasks; and
  • This must be from a doctor or other health professional
  • In accordance with Appendix FM-SE, paragraph 35, evidence relating to the available care should be from: (a) a central or local health authority; (b) a local authority; or (c) a doctor or other health professiona

As an adult, the only way to bring your parents over to the UK is if they require daily care, and you plan to provide it. If you meet this requirement, your parents may be eligible to apply to come and join you in the UK.

Applications for adult dependent relatives must be made online. If your application is successful, Indefinite Leave to Enter will be granted. If you are a refugee or humanitarian protection applying for your family members, will obtain entry clearance (visa) as the same time as the sponsor’s limited leave and subject to a condition of no recourse to public funds.

The process can take between 2-3 months before a decision is reached on a application for a UK ancestral visa.

Our Professional Solicitor's are available in person at our offices or via the phone, Call us Today

What happens if my application is refused?

If your application is unsuccessful and has been refused by an Entry Clearance Officer, you will be given a right of appeal to challenge and lodge an appeal against the decision to refuse your application for Adult Dependant visa to the UK. If this is the case, you can either lodge an appeal or submit a fresh application to address the ECO concerns. We have years of experience to help you with appealing against the decision to refused and will conduct a full assessment of the prospects of success or advice you submit a new application.

Why our client’s instruct us and how we can help?

We are a Company of Experts for You. Our Friendly Team of Immigration Solicitors in London are experts in dealing with your entry clearance application for Adult Dependant Visa to the UK.  We are here to provide you with honest and transparent advice at all times of the merits of your case.

Once instructed, please feel assured we will include the following:

  • Taking detailed instructions from you and advising you about the relevant immigration laws and procedures in your entry clearance application for an Adult Dependant visa to the UK;
  • Assessing and checking your documents and evidence to ensure that your application fulfils the relevant requirements, if any documents are missing or additional documents are need
  • Advising you if any documents are missing or additional documents are required to support and strengthen your application.
  • Completing of your entire application process from start to finish
  • Preparing a representation letter to the Home Office as to why you qualify for an entry clearance application for an Adult Dependant visa to the UKF

For Further Information or to talk to us, Contact us to discuss your UK Adult Dependant Relative visa application with one of our Immigration Solicitors in London on 0203 7324736 or complete the contact form.

Our Professional Solicitor's are available in person at our offices or via the phone, Call Us Today!