UK Spouse Visa: Requirements And Documents You Need

Immigration Tips

With the help of a UK spouse visa, non-British partners can join their partner in the UK. You can join as a spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner (living together in a relationship for at least two years), fiancé, fiancée, or proposed civil partner (you will need to get married or form a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arrival) to the UK. 

Applicants must meet a considerable minimum income or financial level, for example, which has been the focus of bitter judicial disputes and criticism from family groups.

Expert immigration solicitor of My Legal Services offers the best legal advice and representation for those people who are applying for a uk partner visa or uk spouse visa. We have a strong track record of getting applications approved.

Immigration Requirements You Require for a UK Spouse or Partner Visa?

Requirements for UK Partner Visa

You must show UK Visas and Immigration that you meet the following criteria to qualify for a UK spouse visa or partner visa.

  • Your partner is British or Irish, has legal status as a refugee or under humanitarian protection, or is granted limited authorization to remain under Appendix EU or Appendix ECAA;
  • Both you and your partner are older than 18;
  • You and your partner don’t have an illegal level of intimacy;
  • You and your partner have personally met each other 
  • You and your spouse have a valid legal marriage or civil partnership 
  • Your relationship is genuine and ongoing;
  • You and your partner want to live together in the UK permanently;
  • Every previous relationship ended in divorce;
  • You fulfil a financial liability;
  • There is sufficient space for you and your dependents to stay;
  • You have the necessary level of spoken and understanding of English.

As per the immigration solicitor, the requirements you must meet may change depending on the situation. For professional guidance, you might want to talk with an immigration lawyer.

Also Read: How to Get a Civil Partnership Visa UK

Legal Documents You Need for Spouse Visa Or Partner Visa?

BRP Replacement Documents

The following documents should be included with your application. However, this list is not all-inclusive. These include:

  • Your current passport or other travel documents.
  • Your marriage licence or civil union certificate.
  • A divorce decree for any prior unions, if relevant.
  • Details on any criminal convictions, if any.
  • Your NI (National Insurance) number (if you have one).
  • Details where you will be staying in terms of accommodation in the UK.
  • Bank statements.
  • Evidence of income from a job, if appropriate.
  • British passport or document giving indefinite leave to reside of your sponsor.
  • Details about any kids who are also travelling to the UK.

What happens if your Spouse/Partner Visa application is rejected?

UK Spouse Visa Application

What happens if my application for a spouse or partner visa is denied? You will get a decision from the High Commission, Embassy or Consulate letter of the decision if your application is refused. The letter also ensures that you can appeal if your application is denied. If you think the decision is incorrect or unfair, consider reapplying or challenging it, depending on the reasons for the refusal.

You may have a limited time to appeal so you should speak with a lawyer immediately. It is advisable to seek legal advice to determine how the adverse decision may affect your current status and future applications if you are already in the UK.

Also Read: How To Apply for a Fiance Visa UK

Can I switch to a Spouse/Partner Visa?

It is possible to switch into the spouse visa category, provided you do not have leave as a visitor or leave granted for 6 months or less (except fiancée visas, which are given for 6 months but allow you to switch into the spouse route).

Can I change to a Spouse/Partner Visa?

If you have a visitor’s visa or a leave of absence that is valid for 6 months or less, you cannot switch to the spouse visa category (except fiancée visas, which are available for six months but allow you to do so).


Depending on your situation, you may need to submit additional paperwork with your application. Seeking professional legal representation from an experienced immigration solicitor is advisable. My Legal Services will learn about your spouse’s circumstances and customise your application so that its benefits are highlighted and any weaknesses are clarified.

Previous Post
Our Top Spouse Visa Extension FAQ’s
Next Post
Unmarried Partner Visa UK: Before Applying, What You Need To Consider

× WhatsApp