How To Apply for a Fiance Visa UK

How To, Immigration Tips
uk fiance visa application process

In this post, we look at the legal process to apply for a Fiancé visa to the UK. The United Kingdom has strict immigration laws that require people to prove they have sufficient funds to support themselves while living in the UK. The government also requires applicant to show that they will not become a burden on public resources and the Entry Clearance Officer must be satisfied you are in a genuine relationship in addition to meeting the minimum income requirement. There are also additional requirements that must be met.

Find Out What You Need for UK Fiancé Visa

If you plan to live with your partner in the UK, you should apply for a fiancé visa. The visa will allow you to get married in the UK with your partner within a period of 6 months and allow you to continue to remain on the basis of your marriage or civil partnership.  The Fiancé Visa holder can then apply for a UK Spouse Visa.

What are the Fiancé visa requirements?

Fiance or Finacee Visa

To get approval and fast-track the UK fiancé visa application process, the list below should be met:

  • The couple must be at least 18 years of age
  • The application should be made from outside the UK.
  • The intention to marry or enter into a civil partnership must be proven.
  • The marriage or civil partnership should be within the 6-month validity period.
  • This intention to marry is different from the intention to settle.
  • There should be an intention to settle in the UK.
  • The relationship requirement of the partners must be fulfilled:
  • The sponsor in the UK is a British citizen
  • The sponsor must already be granted a Settled Status or a Pre-Settled Status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • The sponsor may be a refugee in the UK or is under humanitarian protection.
  • The relationship must be proven genuine and subsisting or durable
  • The couple must have met in person before the application.
  • The relationship must not be under the prohibited relationships as required under “The Marriage Act 1949” and “The Marriage (Prohibited Degrees of Relationship) Act 1986.”
  • The partners must be legally free to be married or join in a civil partnership.
  • The financial requirements should be met with at least a minimum combined income threshold of £29,000 gross a year.
  • Cash savings may be a relevant source of income but they cannot be combined with other income sources.
  • Salary, stocks, pension payments, and property gains are strong pieces of evidence for the financial requirement.
  • The UK accommodation requirements must be met.
  • The applicant must be able to satisfy the English language requirements
  • Being a national of a predominantly English-speaking country is a plus.
  • Passing an English language test such as the IELTS.
  • Seeking and passing a higher-level English test.
  • The applicant must be cleared from Tuberculosis (TB) illness.
  • Documentary requirements
  • Old passports or visas
  • Previous marriages include separation papers, divorce certificates, death certificates, etc.
  • Any possible criminal convictions as applicable.
  • Financial documents such as bank statements.
  • TB test results
  • Biometric information
  • Application and any other previous application

Fiancé visa UK applications may be refused due to incomplete or insufficient capabilities. My Legal Services can be consulted to avoid rejections and have a smoother application process and have an successful UK fiancé visa application. Give us a call on 0203 732 4736 and one of our immigration solicitors would be happy to assist you the application process, advice, time frame and procedure involved.

You may still be able to meet the requirements of the Immigration rules, if you are not working or are on benefits or have sufficient savings to satisfy the financial requirements. There are specified mandatory documents that are required in support of your Fiancé visa application, which must be met. Give us a call today and we will be happy to help you every step of the way.

Also Read: Our Top Spouse Visa Extension FAQ’s

Prepare Your Documents:

BRP Replacement Documents

Submit Your Application Form:

You must submit an application form along with your supporting documents to the British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate office where your partner lives. You will need to apply online using the Home Office online application form system.  The online system allows you to pay the appropriate fee, including the Immigration Health Surcharge, known as the NHS charge and booking for appointment at a biometric scanning centre, where your supporting documents can be scanned.

Pay the Application Fees:

There are different application fees involved in getting your visa. You will need to pay £1,846 towards the visa application fee from outside the UK. The NHS charge fee is separate from the Home Office mandatory visa fees.

Wait for Approval:

Once you submit your application, it will take up to 12 weeks for the decision to come through. There is also an options to pay for a Fast Track Service for a decision to be made quicker.


My Legal Services is well known for providing exemplary services for Immigration to the UK. At My Legal Services, we pride ourselves on our high success rate and professional legal advice. We can help you with every part of the application process for your UK Immigration and obtaining your UK fiancé visa from start to finish, even with refusals and appeals.

Simply contact us here or give us a call at 02037 324 736 for a free consultation or to speak to our team about your next step for starting your new life in the UK.

Previous Post
How Much Does it Cost to Sponsor a Student Visa in the UK?
Next Post
Depth UK Work Visa Guide On Holidays For Australians

× WhatsApp