Which Documents Do I Need for a Spouse Visa Extension?

Guidelines, Immigration Tips
spouse visa extension london

Spouse Visa Extension in (2024)

Knowing which documents you must provide for your Spouse Visa Extension in the UK can be a legal minefield. But we here at My Legal Services have all the tools needed and experience to help you navigate your way through the application process.

In order to prove that the applicant satisfies all of the requirements to be granted ‘Further Leave to Remain’ as a Spouse of a British citizen or a person with permanent residence or is a settled person, they must submit relevant supporting documents and submit the correct application fee as part of immigration status requirements. Your application will be assessed by the UKVI. and satisfy the requirements under Appendix FM of the Immigration rules. You will not be required to leave to your home country to apply for a new entry clearance application as the application will be made in the United Kingdom.

You will need to apply for a new visa online and can also use the super priority service for a fast track decision. Your application will be assessed by Home Office Officials. This category leads to indefinite leave to remain in the UK and then British citizenship.

For applicants who are currently in the UK on a Spouse/Partner Visa (including a Fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner) and applying for an extension of stay in the UK. These include:

  • Valid passport;
  • Proof that your relationship is genuine/you remain in a genuine relationship;
  • Evidence of meeting the minimum income threshold financial requirement; This can be achieved by way of Employment, Cash savings, Pension income
  • Adequate accommodation
  • Proof of meeting the English language requirement from an approved English language test provider.

If you are extending your partner visa or are currently in the UK under another visa category, and applying to switch to the partner route, you must also provide in support of your spouse visa extension application.

Your current Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) confirming that your leave is still valid in support of your spouse visa extension requirements and your biometric information. You should not make any travel plans.

What are the requirements for a Spouse Visa Extension?

The following requirements must be met:

Relationship Requirement:

At the time of making a Spouse Visa Extension, both the applicant and sponsor partner must:

  • Be over 18
  • Have met in person;
  • Not be related to each other;
  • Be/Remain in a genuine and subsisting relationship and meet the residence requirement
  • If either person were previously married/in a civil partnership, the previous marriage/s must have permanently broken down;
  • Intend to live together permanently in the UK once the visa is granted


If you are married or civil partners, you must be able to prove that you are in a legal marriage/civil partnership that is recognised in the UK. If not married (applying as an unmarried partner), you must provide evidence that your relationship is akin to a marriage and that you have lived with each other continuously for 2 years or more.

Financial Requirement:

The minimum annual income requirement they must meet for this is £29,000 (gross) per annum. 

There are several ways to meet the financial requirement including:

  • Income from salaried or non-salaried employment of the partner (and/or the applicant if they are in the UK with permission to work). Maternity allowances are also counted including Bereavement benefits.
  • Non-employment income, e.g. income from property rental or dividends from shares.
  • Cash savings of the applicant’s partner and/or the applicant, above £16,000, held by the partner and/or the applicant for at least 6 months and under their control. The cash savings requirement is £62,500. State (UK or foreign), occupational or private pension of the applicant’s partner and/or the applicant. There are specified documents that will be required in support of your application.
  • Income from self-employment, and income as a director or employee of a specified limited company in the UK, of the partner (and/or the applicant if they are in the UK with permission to work). Different documents will be required if you are applying and relying on Income from self-employment or income as a Director or employee of a specified limited company.

You may still be able to meet the requirement if you are not working or are on benefits or have sufficient savings to satisfy the financial requirements. Find out more for expert Immigration advice in London, Contact us today!

The English Language Requirement:

Another requirement is evidence of sufficient knowledge of the English Language. Unless you reside in a country where English is the primary/dominant language e.g. USA or Australia, you will need to take an English Language Test which assesses your speaking and listening ability. This must be at a minimum level of A1 (if switching from another visa category) or A2 (if making a partner visa extension).

If you have a degree or academic qualification that was taught or researched in English and recognised by Ecctis (formerly UK NARIC), the English language requirement can also be satisfied.

Other Requirements:

Spouse Visa Application London UK

Accommodation Requirement:

You must also show that you have adequate accommodation for both of you (and any dependant children) to live in when you are in the UK. Adequate meaning that there will be no overcrowding as a result of you staying in the property.

Documents to prove Relationship Requirement is met

For married/civil partners, the marriage/ certificate should be included in the application.

For spouse/partner visa extensions, you must also provide evidence of continuous cohabitation for the last period of leave granted (2.5 years) as a spouse visa holders.

Documents to prove Financial Requirement is met

The documents you must provide need to prove the source of income being used to meet the minimum income requirement. For example if the applicant is relying on employment income, they will need to provide payslips, bank statements and employment contracts.

Documents to prove English Language Requirement is met

If the applicant is required to evidence a sufficient level of English Language, they must provide a copy of their English Language Test Certificate or their Degree certificate.

Documents to prove other requirements are met

For the accommodation requirement, the documents to be provided will depend on whether the property is owned, rented etc. So the relevant documents could be a copy of the tenancy agreement, letter from landlord, land registry title etc.

Translation of Documents

Any supporting documents that are not in English or Welsh must be translated. This will typically apply to items such as Marriage and Birth Certificates that originate from non-English speaking countries. The Home Office’s official rule on this is the following: Each original document must be accompanied by a full translation that can be independently verified by the Home Office. Each translated document must contain:

  • Confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document
  • The date of the translation
  • The translator’s full name and signature
  • The translator’s contact details

For a Complete List of Supporting Documents you will need to submit for your own UK partner visa application/extension, give us a call on 02037 324 736 to speak with one of our qualified Immigration Lawyers and get for immediate help or enquiry online with your situation.


How can My Legal Services lawyers at our law firm can help you with your application for a Spouse visa renewal?

My Legal Services immigration lawyers can help you check your eligibility and individuate the correct requirements to make your application successful. Call us on 02037 324 736 to speak with one of our qualified Immigration Lawyers and get for immediate help or enquiry online with your situation

We employ only the highly trained immigration lawyers to help our clients with their Immigration issues, including point based system applications. All of our lawyers and solicitors are trained and qualified to help you with the application, appeal or decision making process in obtaining your visa in the UK. You can speak at any time with one of our specialists who will be happy to assist you and go over the process for you to obtain your leave to remain in the UK.

Hire one of our Immigration Solicitors in London to benefit from our Application package, which will allow us to complete your successful Spouse visa extension application to the Home Office.

Previous Post
Apply for a Ukraine Family Scheme Visa
Next Post
UK Spouse Visa Application FAQ’s

× WhatsApp