Apply for a Ukraine Family Scheme Visa

Immigration Tips
Ukraine Flag


Home Office has announced the Ukraine Family Scheme visa. The Ukraine Family Scheme allows applicants to join family members or extend their stay in the UK. This will allow for family members of British nationals, people settled in the UK and certain others to come or stay in the UK under the Ukraine Family Scheme. This will allow to bring their family and extended family members to the UK and be reunited with their families.

It’s free to apply and you will be able to live, work and study in the UK and access public funds

Who is eligible and can apply?

If you are the immediate family members  or extended family members of British nationals and people of any  nationality settled in the UK who usually live in Ukraine will now be able to bring family members for free (no mandatory visa) fees will apply This will allow the Non-British family members to apply for a visa in any of the family settlement migration routes for free.

To apply to the Ukraine Family Scheme Visa you must:

  • Be applying to join or accompany your UK-based family member; and
  • Be Ukrainian or the immediate family member of a Ukrainian national who is applying to the scheme; and
  • Have been residing in Ukraine prior to 1 January 2022 (including those who have now left Ukraine)

Your application will be subject to security checks.

Who is a UK Based Family Member?

Your family member must be one of the following:

  • A British national
  • Someone settled in the UK – for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence
  • Someone from the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland who has pre-settled status and started living in the UK before 1 January 2021
  • Someone with refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK

You must provide evidence that your UK-based family member is one of the following:

  • An immediate family member
  • An extended family member
  • An immediate family member of an extended family member

You will be asked to provide a copy of an official document that confirms your relationship to your UK-based family member. For example, a marriage or birth certificate if you have one. If you are unable to provide this document you can still apply, explaining why you are unable to do s

Who is considered as a Immediate Family Member or Extended Family Member?

You can apply for a family visa for free if you’re the UK based family member who usually lives in Ukraine. Your UK based immediate family member must be one of the following:

  • A spouse or civil partner
  • An unmarried partner (you must have been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years)
  • Your parent if you are under the age of 18
  • Your child under the age of 18
  • Fiancé (e) or proposed civil partner
  • An adult relative you provide care for who lives with you due to a medical condition

Extended family members:

An extended family member is your:

  • Parent (if you are over 18)
  • Child who is over 18
  • Grandparent
  • Grandchild or your partner’s grandchild
  • Brother or sister
  • Aunt or Uncle
  • Niece or Nephew
  • Cousin
  • Mother in law or father in law
  • Grandparent in law
  • Brother or Sister in law

Immediate family member of an extended family member:

An immediate family member of an extended family is the:

  • Spouse or civil partner of an extended family member
  • Child under 18 of an extended family member
  • Parent of a child under 18 who is an extended family member
  • Fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of an extended family member

If your UK-based family member is your (or an extended family member’s) spouse, civil partner, fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner the relationship must have started before 1 January 2022. Other family members will be considered where there are exceptional circumstances.

Is there a salary of language tests requirement?

Normal requirements for salary or language tests will be waived.

How to apply and where are the Visa application centres?

You must apply online for the Ukraine Family Scheme visa.

You will then book and attend an appointment at a Visa Application Centre (VAC).

If you are a non-British family member or a person settled in the UK or any nationality who usually resides in Ukraine and you wish to come to the UK, you will need to call the Home Office helpline before making an application to ensure you are eligible to apply.  You can call the helpline 24/7 on  +44 808 164 8810 (0808 164 8810) if you are in the UK

Visa application centres:

You will need to have your photograph and fingerprints taken at a VAC as part of your application. Children under the age of 5 will not have their fingerprints taken but will still need to attend the VAC and have a digital photograph taken.

When you attend the VAC you will need to provide your passport which will be scanned. If you do not have a passport you can still apply but will need to explain why you are unable to provide it. The Home Office, UKVI will then confirm whether you are you are eligible and to go to a Visa Application Centre to enrol biometrics once they have submitted an application.

The VAC in Kyiv is closed and all UK visa services in Kyiv are suspended.

There are temporary VACs for people applying for the Ukraine Family Scheme in:

  • Rzeszow, Poland

You can apply at a VAC in any country if you are able to travel safely. VACs are currently operating throughout Europe including:

  • Budapest, Hungary
  • Chisinau, Moldova
  • Warsaw, Poland
  • Bucharest, Romania
  • Paris, France

You can upload supporting documents for your application online before attending your VAC appointment or you can have your documents uploaded at your appointment. There is a fee for uploading your documents at the VAC.

How long you can stay

Your visa will last up to 3 years.

When will a decision be made on my application?

The Home Office, UKVI aim to process family migration visa applications, or contact you about your application, within 24 hours from when you have submitted your biometrics (fingerprints) at the VAC. UKVI caseworkers will try to contact family members of British nationals who usually live in Ukraine to help facilitate travel.

British Passport

What is the situation for Ukrainians in the UK?

The Home Office has agreed some temporary concessions to support Ukrainian nationals currently in the UK who are now unable to return when their existing visa expires. These concessions will assist Ukrainian nationals in extending their stay in the UK without having to leave and re-apply from overseas. They apply to the following categories;

  • Visitors – can switch into a family visa route or points based route. You must meet the relevant requirement of the respective visa route and pay the visas fees
  • Skilled Workers – Ukrainian nationals in the UK on a Skilled Worker visa that is due to expire can apply to extend their leave or apply for settlement if they meet the Immigration Rules.
  • Students: If your Tier 4 visa is due to expire can apply to extend their leave or switch to a Graduate visa, if they meet the Immigration Rules.
  • Seasonal Workers: Ukrainian nationals in the UK on a Seasonal Worker visa can extend their visa to 31 December 2022 if they cannot return to Ukraine.  They must continue working in a job permitted by the Seasonal Worker route, with the same Scheme Operator (sponsor).
  • HGV driver and pork butchers, you can find details using this link

How can we help?

At My Legal Services, our Immigration Solicitors in London can help you through each step of your visa application to visit, joint your family members, work or study in the UK. We aim to help you through the procedure and, most significantly, to take the pressure and worry off your shoulders. Every case we handle is dealt with competently, and we always make sure we remain delicate to our client’s needs and concerns at all times. We take each case very seriously and are here to listen to our client’s at all times. Our client’s Always Come First and we pride ourselves to become one of the most diverse law firms in London.

Call us on 02037 324 736 or 07957 154 057 or book an appointment at our office to get started on your application or by using our contact form.

Previous Post
My Legal Services Can Help With Deportation And Removal Injunctions
Next Post
Which Documents Do I Need for a Spouse Visa Extension?

× WhatsApp