Short-Term Student Visa: Everything You Need To Know About

Immigration Tips
short term student visa immigration uk

To help overseas students advance their education without spending an excessive amount of time away from home, many UK institutions and colleges offer great short courses. The government makes it simple to apply by providing a short-term student visa.

A short-term study visa can be the best option if you’re from outside the EEA and Switzerland and intend to take a brief course in the UK. Once you’re prepared to apply, our immigration solicitors can give you the confidence you need to submit your visa application.

You may start looking forward to your studies because our experienced visa & immigration lawyers are here to help you.

What Your Short-Term Study Visa Will Allow:

study destination for indian students

Using this visa, you can do the following:

  • Taking a short course of study, like training or an English language course.
  • A brief period of research for your degree if you are studying overseas.

Though you can’t:

  • Enrol in a public school.
  • Work (this includes work placements and work experience) (this includes work placements and work experience)
  • Increase the duration of your visa.
  • Bring family members; they must apply for public funds separately.

If you are given a short-term study visa, you may stay in the UK for 6 to 11 months.

You may remain for:

  • If you are 16 years or older, a short research time or 6 months for any short course, including English.
  • If you’re 16 or older, you can take an English language course for 11 months.

Also Read: Why Do You Require Our Best Immigration Lawyers In Hammersmith

Basic Requirements for a Short-Term Study Visa:

You should be qualified for this short-term student visa if you are enrolled in an abroad higher education programme and a part of your work is being completed in the UK. However, you need to make sure that your organisation:

  • It is recognised on the national level.
  • Just a portion of its educational programme is available in the UK.
  • Offers degrees that are on par with those in the UK.

Things You Need To Show That You:

  • Have received an offer to enrol in a programme at a reputable college or university in the UK.
  • Possess sufficient resources to support oneself without working or requesting government assistance (or you have relatives and friends who can support and house you).
  • You can pay for your return or future travel.

To apply for a short-term study visa if you are less than 18, you must also:

  • Have made the necessary arrangements for your trip and stay in the UK.
  • Have parental or guardian approval before enrolling in school in the UK.

Documentation You Need to Provide:

english language requirements for uk visa

The following information must be provided when you apply for your short-term student visa:

  • A valid travel document, such as a passport, is required.
  • Bank statements or paycheck stubs from the last six months prove that you can sustain yourself while travelling.
  • Information about your intended lodging and any travel plans.
  • It is not recommended that you make travel or lodging arrangements until you have your visa.
  • Details for at least one parent or legal guardian in your country of origin (if under 18 years old).
  • When you apply, you must submit the original documents. You must also supply a certified translation of your documents if they are not in Welsh or English.
  • Last but not least, a blank page on both sides of your passport is required so that your visa may be stamped.

You must also show proof of admission into your programme for your visa application to be approved.

This is often a letter of admission from the school, printed on stationery and detailing the course’s name, duration, and fee (including accommodation). Depending on your situation, you might have to offer more proof, like your:

  • Previous studies, such as academic credentials, references or transcripts.
  • Qualifications in the English language, such as awards or certificates.
  • Plans for lodging and travel.
  • If you are not a national of the country, you are applying for permission to be there.
  • Occupation and documentation of your financial sponsor’s income, savings, or other resources that will support your studies.

Also Read: Professional Immigration Solicitors and Lawyers in Islington

Doing Short-Term Research in the UK:

Short-term study visas can also be utilised for short-term research as long as you are already registered for a degree abroad.

  • To be qualified
  • Your programme must be on par with UK degrees.
  • A UK-recognized organisation or one receiving public money as a higher education institution must be where you are researching.


For the best chance of getting your short-term study visa, let My Legal Services, an immigration solicitors assist you with the application. Call us right away or ask for a call at a time that works best for you.

Previous Post
What Are Exceptional Circumstances On Family Applications?
Next Post
Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Visa: What You Need To Know

× WhatsApp