Applying For An Unmarried Partner Visa

unmarried partner visa uk

Applying for an unmarried partner visa can be complicated, and it’s essential that you understand the current regulations.

To apply as a partner, you and your partner both need to be 18 or over.

Your partner must also either:

  • Be a British or Irish citizen
  • Have settled in the UK – for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence
  • Be from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status – they must have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021
  • Have a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa
  • Have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK

You must intend to live together permanently in the UK after you apply.

If your partner has settled status you may be able to apply to the free EU Settlement Scheme or for a family permit.

When to apply for a partner visa.

uk spouse partner visa immigration lawyers

To apply for a partner visa, you must be able to prove one of the following:

  • You have been living together in a relationship for at least two years when you apply
  • You are a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner and will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving

You also need to prove you:

  • Have a good knowledge of English
  • Can financially support yourself and your dependents

If you’re applying as a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner, you must prove that:

  • Any previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended
  • You plan to marry or become civil partners within six months of arriving in the UK

You can stay in the UK for two years and nine months on this visa. If you’re applying as a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner, you can stay for six months.

The earliest you can apply to settle in the UK (called ‘indefinite leave to remain’) is after you’ve lived in the UK for five years continuously on a family visa as a partner.

You cannot include time you’ve spent in the UK:

  • On any other visa
  • As a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner

You can find more guidance on the website here.

Next Post
Get the Best Immigration Advice From My Legal Services

× WhatsApp