Fiancée visa uk

What is a Fiancée Visa?

A Fiancée Visa allows entry to the UK for a period of 6 months (applicant applying is issued with a 6 months visa) to marry their proposed Spouse/Partner in the UK. Their Sponsor/Partner must be a British citizen or a person present and settled with the grant of indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

The Immigration Rules in particular the financial requirement of the rules are complex and require specified mandatory documents. If you require professional advice and representation, our Immigration Solicitors dealt with Spouse visa applications on a regular basis and assist the applicant and the UK Sponsor with full assistance and preparation to ensure that the Immigration rules are met for a successful outcome.  

If you are not sure whether the Fiancé visa is the right for you give us a call on 0203 7324736 or contact us online to discuss your individual requirements and how we can help.

What are the Fiancé visa requirements?

In order to qualify for a UK Fiancé visa you will need to satisfy and meet the following requirements:

  • The person applying (the applicant) must be outside the UK
  • The applicant must have a valid application for entry clearance and must not fall for refusal under any suitability grounds
  • Your partner is British or holds indefinite leave to remain or limited leave to remain in the UK
  • You are both over the age of 18;
  • You have met in person;
  • You are both free to marry;
  • Your relationship is genuine and you intend to live together permanently in the UK;
  • You intend to marry within six months of your arrival in the UK;
  • Any previous relationships have broken down permanently;
  • You will be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds;
  • There is adequate accommodation for you and any dependents;
  • You speak and understand English to the required level – there are certain exemptions that may
  • You can meet the financial requirement of £18,600 to demonstrate you will not have recourse to public funds. The minimum financial requirement is higher if they are also sponsoring dependent children to come to the UK
  • TB Certificate is normally required depending on which country the applicant is from

There are several categories that may apply and there are specified documents that will need to be provided in order to satisfy the Fiancé visa requirements, depending on your circumstances.

Spouse couple

What happens after I get married in the UK, do I need to return back?

The main advantage with a Fiancé visa, the visa allows the applicant to get married with their Spouse/Partner in the UK and gives them the right to continue to remain upon applying for a Spouse visa application to the Home Office from inside the UK. This means the applicant is not required to return back to their home country and be overseas to apply for entry clearance to re-enter the UK in the Spouse visa category.

How long does the Process Take?

On average it can take between 6 weeks for an Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) to consider your application, documents and decide to issue you a UK Fiancé visa. In some case it can be longer and each case is considered in its individual merits. In some cases it can take a lot quicker depending on the case work at the respective British High Commission, Embassy or Consultant.

Mr Singh has been incredibly helpful and supportive throughout my visa application. His prompt availability and quick responses to my queries has further helped me gather my thoughts and be more organisers throughout my experience with the home office.
Jasjeet Kaur
Sukhdev is very well-versed in his area and and has always been very helpful. Throughout he listened to us, advised us, guided us, and provided us with what we sought. Highly recommended, and thank you.
Dev Bhakar
Had a great experience with Mr Sukhdev Singh. He is very experienced and confident adviser and immigration lawyer.
I will highly recommend him and his firm. He will take all the stress away form you and make sure the paperwork is done the right way.
If you need help with your Fiancée Visa application in the UK, our team will be happy to assist. Call us today

Do I need to pay for the Immigration Health Surcharge?

All applicant (s) need to pay the UK NHS Surcharge, which is a separate fee from the Fiancé visa application fee. The Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) covers the initial period of the length of the visa.

What happens if I am the Sponsor in the UK and not working or am no benefits, can I still apply?

You may still be able to meet the requirements if you are not working or are on benefits or have sufficient savings to satisfy the financial requirements. You may still apply if you can show your separation to join your proposed Spouse/Partner in the UK, would be a breach of human rights and you are unable to continue your relationship from outside the UK.

How long is a Fiancé Visa Valid For?

Your initial Fiancé visa will be valid for 6 months allowing you to get married with your Spouse/Partner within this time period. Once you get married you will be eligible to apply for a UK Spouse visa from inside the UK, on the basis of your marriage.

Our Professional Solicitor's are available in person at our offices or via the phone, Call us Today

Can I work on a Fiancé visa?

You are not permitted to work on a Fiancé visa. Once you obtain a UK Spouse visa, this will give you the legal right to work, study or set up a business in the UK.

How do I apply for a Fiancé Visa?

For Further Information or to talk to us, Contact us to discuss your UK Spouse visa application with one of our Immigration Solicitors in London on 0203 7324736 or complete the contact form

For Further Information kindly contact one of Immigration Solicitors in London on 0203 7324736 or complete the contact form or email us. Thank you

Does a Fiancé Visa Lead to Settlement?

The Fiancé Visa is valid for 6 months allowing the applicant to get married in the UK. Once you get married this will give the applicant under the Immigration rules the right to apply for a Spouse visa from inside the UK. If your Spouse visa application is successful, you will be issued with a Spouse visa for 2.5 years and then will need to apply for a further extension in this category and then allowing you to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

What happens if my application is refused?

If your application is unsuccessful and has been refused by an Entry Clearance Officer, you will be given a right of appeal to challenge and lodge an appeal against the decision to refuse your application for a Fiancé visa to the UK. If this is the case, you can either lodge an appeal or submit a fresh application to address the ECO concerns. We have years of experience to help you with appealing against the decision to refused and will conduct a full assessment of the prospects of success or advice you submit a new application.

FAQ's Civil Partnership

Our Top Fiancée Visa UK FAQ’S

Yes, you will need to pass IELTS level A1 Listing and Speaking test to fulfil the English language requirement. This applies for the applicant applying.

Visitor and Fiancé (e) visa applicants are exempt from paying the NHS charge

You will need to meet the financial requirement of £18,600; plus £3,800 for a first child (who is not British, settled or an EEA national); plus £2,400 for each additional child without recourse to public funds.

The applicant would be required to take a Tuberculosis test (TB), unless you from an exempt country

Currently, it costs £1,523 to apply.

If you are a British national or a person with settled status and prefer to marry your (Non-EU) partner in the UK, then it is a better to apply for Fiancé(e)/Proposed Civil Partner Visa for them to join you in the UK.

If you do not get married within 6 months, you will need to provide reasons to the Home Office if you wish to extend your stay in the UK to get married.

After getting from inside the UK, you will be entitled to apply immediately for a Spouse visa to remain in the UK on the basis of your marriage.

Our Professional Solicitor's are available in person at our offices or via the phone, Call Us Today!