Marriage Visitor Visa

What is a Marriage Visitor Visa?

The Immigration rules allow short stay visas for you (the applicant) and your dependants to come to the UK on a short visit, a standard visitor visa or a business visa. However, the rules also allow the applicant wishing to come to the UK to get married on a Marriage Visitor Visa. This extends to Civil Partners to register a Civil partnership and allows for the applicant to give Notice to get married in the UK.

The Sponsor is usually a British citizen or a person that is a person and present and settled in the UK. It is also possible for the applicant to get married in the UK with their husband or wife who has limited leave to remain in the UK.

visa solicitors in london
Immigration & UK Visas
Mr Singh has been incredibly helpful and supportive throughout my visa application. His prompt availability and quick responses to my queries has further helped me gather my thoughts and be more organisers throughout my experience with the home office.
Jasjeet Kaur
Sukhdev is very well-versed in his area and and has always been very helpful. Throughout he listened to us, advised us, guided us, and provided us with what we sought. Highly recommended, and thank you.
Dev Bhakar
Had a great experience with Mr Sukhdev Singh. He is very experienced and confident adviser and immigration lawyer.
I will highly recommend him and his firm. He will take all the stress away form you and make sure the paperwork is done the right way.
If you have any questions or help with your Marriage Visitor visa application, we will be happy to help, Call us Today

What are the Marriage Visitor visa requirements?

In order to qualify for a UK Marriage Visitor visa you will need to satisfy and meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • The applicant must have a valid application for entry clearance and must not fall for refusal under any suitability grounds 
  • The applicant is overseas and attend a appointment to submit their passport and provide their biometric fingerprints, including submission of a valid passport. 
  • You are over 18 years old
  • You are free to give notice of marriage to marry or form into a Civil Partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival to the UK
  • You are in a genuine relationship with your husband or wife
  • You will travel to the UK for less than 6 months and then leave the UK in accordance with the terms of your leave
  • You have sufficient funds available to cover the cost of your visit and your return journey without recourse to public funds in the UK.
Law Parliament

Do I need to pay for the Immigration Health Surcharge?

The good news is that you are not subject to the UK NHS Surcharge when you apply for a Marriage Visitor visa to the UK. You however, provide supporting documents in support of your application to show evidence of getting married or register your Civil Partnership before you enter the UK. 

Can I work in the UK on a Marriage Visitor Visa?

The applicant is not allowed to work in the UK or study in the UK on a Marriage Visitor Visa. However, they will need to show that they can maintain and accommodate without recourse to public funds. 

How long does the Process Take?

On average it can take between 3-4 weeks for an Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) to consider your application and go through your documents to issue you a UK Marriage Visitor visa.

In some case it can be longer and each case is considered in its own individual merits. In some cases it can take a lot quicker depending on the case worker at the respective British High Commission, Embassy or Consulate

How long is a Marriage Visitor Visa Valid For?

Your Marriage Visitor visa is valid for 6 months, in which time you will be required to get married or give Notice to get married in the UK. The same applies if you are entering into a Civil Patnership. 

How much is the fee for a Marriage Visitor Visa?

At the time of writing the application fee is currently £95.00 and the application process is online to submit and apply for a Marriage Visitor Visa to enter the UK. After getting married you must return back to your home country in accordance with the terms of your leave. 

Do I need to meet the Financial Income requirements of the Immigration rules?

You will need to demonstrate you will have sufficient funds available to cover the cost of your visit and your return journey without recourse to public funds in the UK

Our Professional Solicitor's are available in person at our offices or via the phone, Call us Today

Should I apply for a Spouse visa or Marriage Visitor Visa?

If you intend to settled in the UK, you should apply for a Spouse visa or a Fiancé visa instead. 

For Further Information or to talk to us, Contact us to discuss your UK Marriage Visitor visa application with one of our Immigration Solicitors in London on 0203 7324736 or complete the contact form.

What happens if my application is refused?

If your application is unsuccessful, there is not an automatic right of appeal or administrative review to challenge the ECO refusal letter. However, the decision to refuse can still be challenged by way of judicial review proceedings and issuance of a Pre-action protocol. 

It is therefore important you seek the correct legal advice before you apply for a Marriage Visitor visa. 

Why our client’s instruct us and how we can help?

The Immigration rules can be confusing and traumatic, particularly if you don’t know where to turn for help and suggestion. We know there is a lot of information out there, and it’s frequently challenging to regulate what is correct. This is where we can help you with UK visa application. We offer no fuss fixed fees.

As a reputable law firm in London, we focus on UK Immigration Law and offer support with all kinds of concerns and visa problems and issues you may have. Our team of Immigration Solicitors in London can advise on several different areas including citizenship, Spouse visas, Skilled Worker Visa, Long residence and Private and Family Life applications, Appeals and much more.

Our Immigration Solicitors in London are fully trained on Immigration cases across the entire spectrum and are accredited by the Law Society under the Immigration & Asylum Accreditation scheme, to deal with your Immigration matter and provide specialist advice in a cost effective way. There is a plethora of My Legal Services packages at your disposal to choose from. Whether you are looking for a simple Advice Session or document checking service or whether you need fully-fledged guidance to fill out your application and representing your case or just legal advice and representation, we have the answer. 

Once instructed, please feel assured we will include the following:

  • Taking detailed instructions from you and advising you about the relevant immigration laws and procedures in your Marriage Visitor Visa application for entry clearance to the UK.
  • Assessing and checking your documents and evidence to ensure that your application fulfils the relevant requirements, if any documents are missing or additional documents are need
  • Advising you if any documents are missing or additional documents are required to support and strengthen your application.
  • Completing of your entire application process from start to finish
  • Preparing a representation letter to the Home Office as to why you should be issued with a Visitor visa to the UK
  • Answering your questions or concerns that you may have in respect of the rules and process involved
Contact us to discuss your UK Marriage Visitor Visa application with one of our Immigration Solicitors in London on 0203 7324736