Our Top UK Spouse Visa FAQ’S

The applicant (husband or wife) will need to pass IELTS level A1 Listing and Speaking test to fulfil the English language requirement.

The current spouse visa online application fee is £1,523 for applications made outside the UK.

The applicant would be required to take a Tuberculosis test (TB), unless you from an exempt country

Your application will need to be submitted using the Home Office online application form system. There are different categories that apply when applying if you are applying from abroad or inside the UK. The online system allows you to pay the appropriate fee, including the Immigration Health Surcharge, known as the NHS charge and booking for appointment at a biometric scanning centre, where your supporting documents can be scanned.

On average it can take between 6-8 weeks for an Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) to consider your application and go through your documents to issue you a UK Spouse visa. That said, in most cases, it can take 3-4 weeks.

You will need to meet the financial requirement of £18,600; plus £3,800 for a first child (who is not British, settled or an EEA national); plus £2,400 for each additional child without recourse to public funds.

The Immigration Health Surcharge costs £624,00 per year for each applicant.

There are several ways to meet the financial requirement including:

  • Income from salaried or non-salaried employment of the partner (and/or the applicant if they are in the UK with permission to work). Maternity allowances are also counted including Bereavement benefits.
  • Non-employment income, e.g. income from property rental or dividends from shares.
  • Cash savings of the applicant’s partner and/or the applicant, above £16,000, held by the partner and/or the applicant for at least 6 months and under their control. The cash savings requirement is £62,500. State (UK or foreign), occupational or private pension of the applicant’s partner and/or the applicant. There are specified documents that will be required in support of your application.
  • Income from self-employment, and income as a director or employee of a specified limited company in the UK, of the partner (and/or the applicant if they are in the UK with permission to work). Different documents will be required if you are applying and relying on Income from self-employment or income as a Director or employee of a specified limited company.

You will initially be granted a 3 month’s visa, which will be stamped into your passport in order to allow you to enter the UK, within this 3 month’s grace period. After your arrival to the UK, you will be required to collect your Biometric Residence Card at your local UK Post Office. Your BPR Card will confirm your Spouse visa status and will be issued for 2.5 years or 30 months and give you the right to work, study and live in the UK.

Here are a few examples of the type of documents you should submit;

  • Proof that your relationship is real: Phone conversations, emails, messages, Skype sessions, Social Media evidence
  • Proof of your income: Job contracts, your P60, your bank statements, Payslips. Different rules are apply for Self employment applicants and/or Company Directors. It is also possible to satisfy the financial requirement via Cash savings by having sufficient savings of £62,500.
  • Proof that you meet the accommodation requirement: House lease, letting contract, proof of booked temporary accommodation
  • Proof that you meet the English language requirement: IELST Listening and Speaking Test unless you are exempt
  • There are many different types of documents you can use for a Spouse visa application. Proving that your relationship is genuine is subjective, and it depends on the nature of your lives together and communication with each other. As a result, there is no limit to the evidence you can submit to prove this.

You are permitted to be outside of the UK for up to 180 days in any given year for the purposes of your ILR application, but you cannot be outside the UK for more than 90 day in any 12 month period in the five years preceding your naturalisation application to become a British citizen.

You can either apply for indefinite leave to remain as a Spouse under the five or ten year route to settlement in the UK.

If you are married to a British citizen, subject to satisfying the residence requirement, you can apply to naturalise as a British citizen as soon as you are granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK. Once your application for British citizenship is approved you can apply for a British passport.

Our Professional Solicitor's are available in person at our offices or via the phone, Call Us Today!